From 1974 to 1980, Bob Pope was a trial attorney in the Office of Chief Counsel, Internal Revenue Service. He maintains good working relationships with all revenue agents, revenue officers, special agents, and their lawyers.
Mr. Pope focuses on defining the most workable and financially efficient options in tax procedures and processes of both the Internal Revenue Service and the Tennessee Department of Revenue. That process always contains the default position of a taxpayer’s option to resolve disagreements with the IRS through alternative dispute resolution and then through litigation, assuring that taxpayer clients and their tax professionals are aware of the real options.
Mr. Pope is a Fellow of the American College of Tax Counsel and currently serves as the Regent of that college for the Sixth Circuit.
Mr. Pope has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 2007 and was named Nashville’s Lawyer of the Year in 2016 and 2018 for Tax Litigation and Controversy in that publication. He is also listed in Mid-South Super Lawyers magazine.
Mr. Pope has been a member of the organizing committee for The Tennessee Federal Tax Conference, an annual three-day tax conference, jointly sponsored by the Tennessee Society of CPAs and the Tennessee Federal Tax Institute, of which he is a trustee.
He has served on the Southeast Region Bar IRS Liaison Committee since 2002, an annual meeting at which tax lawyers and IRS mid-level management exchange views to identify and address systemic issues arising in tax administration and policy.
Mr. Pope speaks frequently on matters of federal tax procedure at the following forums:
- IRS National Tax Forums (Atlanta, Orlando, San Diego, and Washington DC)
- NYU Institute on Federal Taxation at New York University School of Law
- The Southern Federal Tax Institute (Atlanta)
- American Bar Association, Section on Taxation (Austin, San Diego, Washington, DC, and Las Vegas)
- The Tennessee Federal Tax Conference
- The Tennessee Bar Association
- The Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisers
- The Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants
- The Chattanooga Tax Practitioners’ Club
- The Kentucky Federal Tax Institute
- The Wisconsin Bar Association
For additional information about Mr. Pope, please see his profile at https://cle.tba.org/faculty/profile/8435.
- Tax Litigation and Controversy
- Criminal Tax Investigations
- Tax Collection (Internal Revenue Service and Tennessee Department of Revenue)
- Taxation in Bankruptcies
- Insolvencies and Workouts
- Business Workouts
- Bankruptcy and Related Litigation
St. Andrew Presbyterian College (B.A., 1968)
University of Tennessee (J.D., 1974)
North Carolina and United States Tax Court, 1974
Nashville (Assistant Treasurer; former Chair: Tax Committee and Bankruptcy Committee), Tennessee, and American (Tax Section, Founding Member and first Chair, Bankruptcy and Workouts Committee; Civil and Criminal Penalties Committee) Bar Associations